Visual Weightloss

Your pictures and fotos in a slideshow on MySpace, eBay, Facebook or your website!view all pictures of this slideshow

Monday, December 6, 2010

Share our Strength Progressive Dinner- Day 1



In my opinion, nothing is better than sharing a meal with friends and family. Progressive dinners can be a lot of fun as each person brings a different course. It's fun to get creative and share good times over good food.

But what about those who don't have someone, specifically, children who do not know where their next meal will come from? Most of us know that children thrive on routine and predictability so how awful is it to think of a hungry and stressed child. The fact is more than 50 million Americans struggle to daily put food on the table and more than 17 million of those affected are kids. Here are some chilling facts about what can happen when children go hungry:

Children who regularly do not get enough nutritious food have more behavioral, emotional and academic problems and tend to be more aggressive and anxious.

Children who struggle with hunger are sick more often, recover more slowly, and are more likely to be hospitalized.

Children who face hunger are more susceptible to obesity and its harmful health consequences as children and as adults.

As a formerly obese American I am ashamed to say that I took in way more than I needed. I think, now, of all the people I could have fed on the calories I consumed and it makes me sad. However I can have retribution for my past errors and I am proud to partner with Share Our Strength whose personal mission is "No Kid Hungry". They partner with people all around the country to help bring an end to childhood hunger in America. This week and into part of next week I am dedicating my blog to their cause by participating in a virtual progressive dinner. Together, I and 54 other bloggers will be bringing you recipes you can bring to your holiday table this season. We also ask that, in the spirit of giving and in our effort to end childhood hunger, you would give to Share our Strength through the "Share Our Table" button on my sidebar. No amount is too little, no effort gone unseen.

Please also enjoy visiting other's blogs and the recipes they have prepared for you. Today's first course is appetizers!

Gourmet

The Italian Dish- Parmesan Gourgeres
Recipe Girl -Sun dried Tomato Polenta bites
Neo-Homesteading-Potato, Bacon, & Onion pizza

Family Friendly

Family Fresh Cooking- Cheese and Bacon Stuffed Mushrooms
Giving Up on Perfect- Tortilla Rolls

Vegetarian

Two Peas and Their Pod- Cranberry Orange Brie Crostini
Smith Bites-Dates stuffed with Parmesan slivers and Walnuts

Gluten Free

Wenderly- Prosciutto-Wrapped Asparagus

Coming up tomorrow is DRINKS and I share my warm and delicious recipe for Minty Hot Cocoa.

2 comments:

Biz said...

Love the idea of the progressive dinner! Not only for good recipe ideas, but the whole message.

It's crazy that kids in America have to go hungry!

Michelle (What's Cooking with Kids) said...

You have come a long way! Thanks for joining our efforts to end childhood hunger. Nice to meet you and the rest of our kind and compassionate crew on this effort! xo